Compare Car Rental Prices Worldwide
Car Hire Romania
Romania is a country that has always been steeped in some mystery. It is linked to Vlad the Impaler and the stories of Dracula from the distant past. More recently, the brutal reign of Nicolae Ceausescu that ended in the late 1980’s had put the country under a kind of cloak that most were not able to penetrate. But the country is now a great place for holiday and business, so car hire Romania is a popular choice. If you want to get the best deals on Romania rental car then you should look and book as early as possible to get the best prices. We know there are some great deals to be had on rent a car Romania so take a look below and see all that this wonderful nation has to offer.
There are so many places to see and experience that Romania car hire becomes pretty much essential when you visit the country. From the capital city of Bucharest (more on this later) to the beautiful Danube, there are so many places that rental car Romania can take you. And this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as Romania’s natural beauty is concerned. There are national parks, forests and more to see in this nation. So, get your Romania rent a car today and get on the road!
Wherever you visit in the world, your passion to see the nation as a local would can be fulfilled by car hire Romania when you travel. The roads are well made and maintained so you don’t have to worry. Romania rental car is just like driving at home. Now you know a little more about the state of Romania rent a car we’ll take a look at this amazing country in a little more detail.
Romania is situated in what is known as the crossroads of Europe – between Central, Eastern and South-eastern Europe. It has been considered important territory for centuries and today it boasts attraction such as –
- Bran Castle
- The Painted Monasteries of Bucovina
- The Danube Delta
- And more
We will look at some of the cities of the nation in more detail later in this guide.
The country is home to approximately 20 million people, the majority of whom speak Romanian, although other languages such as Ukrainian, German, Hungarian and Romani are spoken there too. The nation has five land borders with other nations and these are Hungary, Ukraine, Moldova, Bulgaria and Serbia with a long stretch of the country’s border along the Black Sea. The size of Romania is 92,050 square miles.
The summer months are June to September. The weather in the country is temperate, with four distinct seasons, with the summers being hot and popular with tourists. The beaches in particular are popular for locals and tourists alike so if you want you Romania car hire for this part of the nation then you should look to book as soon as you can.
The nations sporting obsession is with football and the country has produced many players at the very top level and representing some of the biggest club sides in the world, including Barcelona and Real Madrid. Other sports played in Romania include volleyball, handball, basketball and they also play rugby union to a reasonable standard.
Popular Cities in Romania
The capital city of Romania is Bucharest. It is the centre for government, finance and industry as well as culture. This pretty much makes Bucharest car hire an important part of your trip. If you have any aspirations of getting around this bustling city, then rental car Bucharest will make your life easier. Get to the Opera, see the magnificent Palace of the Parliament and all at your own leisure.
Galati is an old city with a modern feel. It sits in Eastern Romania and has been inhabited since around 500BC. But don’t worry, Galati rent a car has moved on somewhat since then! It has many tourist highlights such as the Mavromol Church and Botanical Garden and car hire Galati will get you in and around these places. It also ranks highly for green space per capita and this makes it one of the most appealing parts of Romania for a trip.
Brasov is actually a hidden gem in Romania that far too many of the outside world don’t know about. People have lived there for centuries and has been lived in by Saxons as well as native Romanians. Rental car Brasov will get you to the beautiful architecture all around this city. Boom your Brasov rent a car early especially in the summer as this place will get busy!
Cluj-Napoca is another part of this beautiful nation that isn’t known about by enough of the world outside of Romania. It gives access to the mountains and ski ranges in winter and you can take your Cluj-Napoca car hire up those mountains too. If you love Bohemian architecture, then get in your rental car Cluj-Napoca and soak up all this city has to offer.
Timisoara is known by many as ‘Little Vienna’ and there are some striking similarities. Like Vienna, Timisoara rent a car is good value if you know where to look. There is Austrian influence all over the city and it is great to walk when right in the centre. But to get to and from the airport and use this place as a base you will need car hire Timisoara for your trip.
Iasi is a cultural hotspot on the Eastern border of the nation and features highlights such as the Palace of Culture. For your trip you will need rental car Iasi to help you get around and see all there is to see. It is actually the 2nd largest city in the country so think Iasi rent a car for a multi-centre holiday.
Constanta is a beach resort loved by the locals and becoming more and more popular with the rest of the world. And as such, Constanta car hire can get booked up in the summer months. We recommend you book early. The sand here is fine and looks white – you might feel like you are in the Caribbean! You can leave your rental car Constanta at the beach in the day and then use it to get you around the bars and restaurants at night.
Sibiu is a city that is dominated by the Cibin River that runs right through it. Your Sibiu rent a car will help you get around the two halves of the city that are in either side of the river. The city has been European Capital of Culture and you can see this legacy still sits there. And guess what? Car hire Sibiu is the ideal way to see all of this.
Oradea sits in the West of Romania and has soaked up culture from the nations over the border as well as occupying forces from the past. This makes Oradea rental car ideal to see how this melting pot of a city has come about. Your rent a car Oradea can get you over the nearby border with Hungary too, So, what are you waiting for?
Pitesti is a popular city filled with hotels and waiting for your stay. There are also a host of big companies here so if you are visiting Romania for business, Pitesti car hire might be the one for you. The local football team have had success in the past so get your rental car Pitesti and show your colours.
As with any new experience, you will need to know what you are letting yourself in for when on the road. Check all the rules of the road before you leave for Romania to ensure you stay safe, do not draw attention to your hire car and making sure that nothing is left in the vehicle when it is un-occupied. Here are some of the more important ones –
- You must have an international drivers’ licence and show this when collecting your car
- Take out the insurances offered by the hire company, so you know you are covered
- Your car must have a warning triangle so make sure it is present when collecting the car. You may get an on the spot fine if it isn’t present
- Private vehicles must have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit so again check with the car hire company
- You should also have a reflective jacket in case of emergency and you need to get out of the car for any reason at night
- You drive on the right-hand side of the road and overtake on the left
- There are trams in major cities and these must be overtaken on the right
- Give priority to vehicles from the right when arriving at a roundabout
- If you see a fire engine, ambulance, or a tram then you need to give them right of way as soon as it is safe to do so
- You cannot sound the horn on your car in a built-up area between the hours of 10pm and 6am
- In Bucharest and some other cities, you may not sound the horn at all. Check with your var hire company to see if this affects you
- All passengers and the driver must wear a seat belt at all times. It is the responsibility of the driver to make sure this happens
- You must be 12 years old or older to travel in the front seats of a vehicle in Romania
- In built up areas the speed limit is 50 kmph
- In rural areas the speed limit is 90 kmph
- On a dual carriageway the speed limit is 100 kmph
- On the motorway the speed limit is 130 kmph
- Make sure you stick to all of these speed limits to stay on the right side of the law
- You cannot drive a vehicle with any alcohol in the blood and alcohol tests can be carried out at random. We suggest you don’t drive anywhere after drinking alcohol
No matter where you go in Romania, we want you to stay safe at all times. Don’t take any risks with the above as the penalties can be rigorous and the police are notorious for sticking to them. Make sure you know what to do when driving in Romania and be safe and stay on the right side of the law.
Airports in Romania
Romania is a country that has many links to the outside world now. There are some impressive airports, including the following –
- Henri Coanda International Airport in Bucharest
- Cluj Avram Iancu International Airport, serving Cluj-Napoca
- Traian Vuia International Airport in Timisoara
- Iasi International Airport
- Sibiu International Airport
- Craiova International Airport
- George Enescu International Airport in Bacau
- Stefan del Mare International Airport serving Suceava
- Oradea Airport
If you want the best Romania car hire from the airport to your destination, then book as early as you can. That way you know your rental car Romania is booked and secure for your stay.
If you drive on the roads of the nation, then ensure you follow the rules listed above. Romania rent a car is a safe option but the unexpected might happen. Have the following numbers programmed in your phone in case of emergency. For the police, ambulance and fire brigade the number is 112.
Whatever reason you have to visit the country, your Romania car hire is the top bet to see it all at your own pace. Book nice and early and get the best rental car Romania for your needs. It is quite a simple process to follow.