Compare Car Rental Prices Worldwide
Car Hire Latvia
Latvia is one of the Baltic states that lies on the sea of the same name. It is a beautiful country, so Latvia car hire is the ideal way to get around and see all the nation has to offer. There is a great road network from city to city and beyond, so Latvia rent a car is ideal to get you moving. If you wonder about rental car Latvia then you are in the right place to learn all you need to know. Check out our guide to car hire in Latvia.
This is a country with a great deal to. Car hire Latvia lest you get around this ex-Soviet state. There is so much history here that you should extend your stay whether it is for leisure or business. Get out and about in the country. Rent a car Latvia is the ideal way to see all the nation has to offer. Don’t get stuck in a plane with no views. Get on the road and take it all in. Get booked as soon as possible to have the best choice of vehicle. Latvia rental car is competitive and loads of fun. So, what are you waiting for?
Being in the Euro zone as well as having close ties to Russia makes this a fascinating part of the world. Latvia car hire gives you the freedom to see it all. Don’t hesitate as the roads are well maintained and easy to follow. Rent a car Latvia really does help you get to see this land as the locals do. Whether you are visiting for a few days or a few weeks, Latvia rental car is the only choice for the savvy traveller. Get yours today!
Latvia is a Baltic state sandwiched between Estonia and Lithuania on the coast of the Baltic Sea. As a nation that has been under Russian, Swedish and German control over the past centuries, this is a mix of people, traditions and things to see. This makes Latvia a fabulous place to visit at any time of the year.
There is a lost as long as your arm of places you might want to visit, such as –
- House of the Blackheads
- Freedom Monument
- Riga Castle
- And more
You will see so much through this guide, so sit back and read through to start planning your visit to this amazing nation.
There are around 2 million people living in Latvia. There are a number of languages spoken in the country with Latvian being the main one used in business and schools. In addition, there are people who speak Russian, German, Swedish and English, either as a first or second language. It is surrounded by the nations of Estonia, Russia, Belarus and Lithuania as well as the Baltic Sea. The summer months are June to August with a winter that lasts from November through to around March, depending on what part of the nation you experience. The weather in the country is temperate, with four distinct seasons with a long, cold winter. But the summers are hot.
The nations sporting obsessions are varied and include football, ice hockey, athletics, tennis, rugby, cycling and tennis. They aggressively compete with the other Baltic states and have a strong rivalry here.
Popular Cities in Latvia
The capital of Latvia is Riga, and this is a beautiful part of the nation. Car hire Riga is the ideal way to see the capital and all of the tourist sites available here. If you want to get from the airport to the city, then this is the choice. Riga rent a car is high quality and easy to access from the airport or the city so get on it today.
Daugavpils is an ancient city in the South of the nation. It is built around the castle and the main feature of the place is the historical centre. Daugavpils rental car is relatively cheap and a great way to see the splendour of the city. Think car hire Daugavpils when you visit the city and you will be on the right tracks.
Jekabpils is a city of around 25,000 people that packs a real punch. Jekabpils rent a car gets you to the old sights of the city that are filled with charm and ancient beauty. Latvia has been around for hundreds of years and this city is testament to that. Rental car Jekabpils is a great way to make this city the base for your travels around the nation of Latvia.
Jelgava is situated in the central belt of the country, close to the capital Riga. Jelgava car hire will give you access to the River Lielupe and the Rastrelli Palace, both of which are beautiful. Rent a car Jelgava is the best option for the traveller who wants the freedom to come and go as they wish.
Jurmala is a coastal resort that is known for the seaside in the summer months. Rental car Jurmala lets you see the place where former government officials spent their summer holiday in the days of the Soviet Union. It is the fifth largest city in the nation and fills up during the summer. Because of this, you should book your Jurmala car hire as early as you can to avoid disappointment.
Liepaja is another coastal city, right on the banks of the Baltic Sea. As you can imagine, this is hot in the summer but can be very cold in the winter months. Consider snow tyres with our Liepaja rent a car at this time of the year. It is home to around 70,000 people and gives you access to the national park and Libava fortress. So, get your rental car Liepaja booked now and enjoy your trip.
Rezekne was originally a hill fortress and is a beautiful part of the country. Car hire Rezekne is the ideal way to open up the wonders of this place, so look at the options as soon as possible. Parking is plentiful, and the roads are mainly clear. Rezekne rent a car is the perfect option all year round. Get it now!
Valmiera is only 7 square miles in size, but packs so much into this relatively small area. There are indications that the area has been inhabited for around 9,000 years. Don’t worry, the rental car Valmiera isn’t that old! They are clean and well-maintained with all the mod cons you would expect. Valmiera car hire will let you get from the city to the countryside and beyond.
Ventspils is the sixth largest city in the country and is known for the port on the Baltic Sea, where much of the trade for the nation comes in. Ventspils rent a car lets you get there and do business and see the cultural aspect of this place at the same time. Rental car Ventspils is the clever option as it is available and flexible.
To get the most of your car hire Latvia you should have some idea of what you are letting yourself in for. The roads are safe, but they may be a little different to what you are used to at home. Familiarise yourself with the rules of the road and have an amazing time with your rent a car Latvia on your trip. If you want to get the most from the experience, then check these out –
- You will need an international driving licence to get on the road with a Latvia car hire so make sure you have this when you pick up the car
- You need to carry a first aid kit and fire extinguisher on the road in Latvia. In addition, you must have a warning triangle and a reflective jacket. All of these items are compulsory, and you should check with your hire company that they are present before driving away. Failure to have these can end up with an on the spot fine.
- You drive on the right-hand side of the road and overtake on the left. The motorways and two-lane roads are good quality and allow you to pass safely.
- If you are driving in Latvia from 1st December to 1st March, then you must have snow tyres fitted at all times. Conversely, you cannot have spiked tyres on a vehicle from 1st May to 1st
- You must wear a seat belt, as must all of the occupants of the vehicle. It is the responsibility of the driver to make sure this happens.
- All children under the height of 150 centimetres must use a child seat to remain safe.
- The speed limit on roads in built up areas is 50 km/h.
- The speed limit on normal roads is 90 km/h.
- The speed limit on dual carriageways is 100 km/h, although there are certain areas where there are 110 km/h limits, and these are indicated by road signs. Look out for them.
- There are different speed limits for motorcycles and large vehicles – these shown are for cars and vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes in weight.
- The police issue on the spot fines for motoring offences and payment often has to be made immediately so travel with some cash or your cards at all times.
- Do not park on tram lines at any time, as this is dangerous and can lead to your car being towed away.
- There are reported instances of thefts from vehicles in Latvia, so it is always advisable to keep valuable out of sight and the car locked when you are not with it. Public car parks are the best place to leave a car safe and secure.
- You cannot drive if you have more than 0.05% alcohol in your blood stream. We recommend that you don’t drink and drive wherever you have a car, home or abroad. There is too much risk and you put the safety of others at risk.
- The police can stop you and ask for a breath test at any time so don’t take a risk here.
- There are plenty of fuel stations around Latvia so don’t worry that you might run low. You will be able to find one in the city, town or motorway.
Follow these rules and you will stay safe on the roads of Latvia for your entire stay. We want you to stay safe with your rental car Latvia and the best way to do this is to know your rules of the road. Check these again before you drive and ask your Latvia car hire company if you have any questions at all. This is the best way to be protected and look after any passengers in your car as well as yourself.
Airports in Latvia
Much of the better options for Latvia car hire revolve around the cities and the airports. As a nation well connected to the rest of the world, you would expect there to be a good number of airports to choose from. No matter which part of the country you visit, you will find a decent airport to choose from. Whether internal or external flights, you have the choice of a few. Look at this in conjunction with your rent a car Latvia to find the best one for you. Here are the biggest airports in Latvia –
- Riga International Airport
- Adazi Airfield
- Daugavpils International Airport
- Liepaja International Airport
- Rezekne Airport
- Splive Airport
- Jurmala Airport
- Ventspils Airport
No matter where you start your journey in this nation, you will need to stay safe and protected. Always have the driving tips above in mind but consider the actions you may need to take in an emergency. If you need assistance on the road for any reason, then call 112. This is the number for the police, ambulance service and fire brigade. Latvia car hire is a safe way to travel but you should always be prepared. When looking at your rent a car Latvia, programme this number into your phone. This is an exciting time for rental car Latvia so book now and enjoy!